Sunday, January 15, 2012

Devil Craft - Chicago Style Pizza & Draft Beer


Restaurant Review by K.M.

[More recent (2017) review of Devil Craft is here.]

I confess, I have a monthly craving for pizza. Unfortunately for me, the standard pizza chains found in every town in Japan just don't satisfy that craving. And while I enjoy the traditional, thin crust, brick oven pizza places that have sprung up in recent years, I still can't seem to find that New York style pizza that I really enjoy. When I heard about Devil Craft, a new Chicago style pizza restaurant in Kanda, I really had high hopes that this would be the place and my search for the perfect pizza in Tokyo would be over.

Devil Craft is a combination beer bar and pizza restaurant. Their pizza specialty is deep dish Chicago style pizza. The pizza is about 3-4 cm thick, and a slice of pizza is like a thick slice of tomato pie. We ordered the The Devil Works (¥2800 large), which is supposed to have some of everything on it. It looks beautiful, as you can see from the picture, and it does have a little of everything. However, I found the tomato sauce to be somewhat bland, with very little meat or cheese. We thought it was good, filling, and a healthy alternative to chain pizza, but not up to our expectations.

Fortunately, Devil Craft's allure is not only its pizza, but also it's selection of interesting micro-brew draft beers. I chose Mountain Ale, an amber beer with little carbonation. My wife had the Hoegaarden White, from Belgium. There are 15 draft beers on the menu, and a glass runs about ¥1000 a pint.

I may go to Devil Craft again someday, but since it's in Kanda, near Tokyo Station on the Chuo Line, it's not exactly close by to us here in Tsurumi. I would say the pizza is good, and better than chain pizza, but it's not fantastic. I guess that means I'll have to keep looking for the most awesome pizza in Tokyo!

Devil Craft
Nihonbashi, Muromachi 4-2-3, Chuo-ku, Tokyo
Phone: 03-6265-1779
Access: Kanda Station, South Exit, 3 min. walk
Seats 44; reservations recommended on weekends
Web Site: www.devilcraft.jp

No comments:

Post a Comment